The Boston Python group is focused on building a community in the Boston area among Python people. We are always interested to hear about jobs relevant to members of the community. Such postings can be sent to our mailing list, posted to our Slack workspace, or both.
In order to ensure that job announcements are relevant and useful to the community and produce good responses, there are four requirements for any job posting:
- The job must significantly involve Python. For example, more than half of the work is in Python.
- The job must be available to someone living in the Boston area. Either it’s in Boston, or remote is OK.
- The name of the hiring firm must be clearly provided. No mystery firms hidden behind a hiring agency.
- For postings sent to the mailing list, the subject line must include “[Job]” to help people filter messages. For example, your subject line could look like this:
[Job] Junior engineer at Initech
If your job posting meets these simple rules, feel free to send it to the mailing list at email@example.com or post it to the #jobs channel in Slack. Messages sent to the mailing list are moderated and may take a few hours to go out. Messages posted to Slack are subject to after-the-fact moderation.
- Don’t re-post announcements too often: you will wear out peoples’ attention. Six months is a good interval for repeated posts.
- When sending to the mailing list, don’t use attachments. Most people won’t open them anyway.
- Include an email address for people to respond.
- If you have questions about the format of job postings, take a look at the previous messages to the list.
- Don’t post jobs anywhere else, for example as event comments.
If your email message doesn’t go through, here are some things to check:
- You must be a member of the Boston Python group on Meetup.
- Be sure to send your message from the email address you used when signing up for Meetup.com.
- Some people have reported that you have to visit your Meetup settings and elect to receive updates from the mailing list.
By the way: if your job posting succeeds, please consider making a donation to the group.